Thursday, October 21, 2010

MEET BIG READ

Q: hello? Anyone out there?

A: No need to scream. I can’t hear you anyway. Sound doesn’t travel in Space.

Q: Then how can I conduct this interview?

A: Well, use your imagination! If you could talk to me, what would you ask?

Q: Well, what’s up?

A: I’m up. Way up … in the universe. I don’t think we’ve formally met. I am red giant. But you can call me red. All the other stars do.

Q: How many other stars are you talking about?

A: In which galaxy?

Q: Pick one.

A: Okay, I’ll pick the one earth is in-the Milky Way. There are about 200 billion stars in the Milky Way galaxy alone. Of, course there are billions more stars in millions of other galaxies out there.

Q: And, are they like you? Red and big?

A: Nope. Every star is different. White dwarfs, stars like suns, and re giants like yours truly, are really quite different. We stars get change as we get older.

Q: you mean, you get wrinkles and gray hair and stuff?

A: Um, not quite. If I could take you on a star studded tour, you’d understand where I’m coming from

Q: Okay, let’s go.

A: We can’t. The sun is 93 million miles away. Even If you travelled at jet speed it will take 17 years for you to reach.

Q: Whoa! If stars are so away, why can I count hundreds of them in the sky at night?

A: Because they give off energy and light and they shine during night time.

Q: and how do you shine?

A: now, we’re getting to the core of the matter: the star’s core, hydrogen gas is converted to helium gas. That’s what keeps the stars shining.

Q: so what will happen to our sun?

A: well, you know someday it will become a red giant like me.

Q: wow, so how old are you?

A: about 10 million years old, I know I know

I look so young.

Q: are there any undiscovered planets in our universe?

A: you are almost as bright I am! There are of course many planets in this universe.

Q: how can I find them out?

A: come back and chat with me in another billion few years-if you can recognize me! It just may take that long to discover everything out here.

Aman saini

EEE “G"

No comments: